Friday, May 30, 2008

A little run in with a tornado....

One reason why I like Utah, NO TORNADOES!! (Except for that weird one that came into Utah like 8 years ago...) About a week and a half ago we were having some pretty bad weather. It rained so hard, not as hard or as much as Texas rain, there is nothing like Texas rain!! But anyway, pretty bad rain. I was watching tv and a little weather warning was down in the corner of the screen and I saw it but didn't think much of it. Then the news came on and the started telling people in Foulton County (which is the county next to us) to make preparations for a tornado potentially coming their way. So I started to get a little nervous, and at this point Kristina (sister-in-law) is with me and we are just glued to the tv. And sure enough 3 minutes later they announce that its coming straight towards North Atlanta! We were so scared!! Then on the tv they show a live picture of a funnel cloud forming into a tornado right next to I-285. It took a minute to register cause this funnel cloud was enormous. And I thought I-285 is about 4 minutes down the street, so we poke our heads out my balcony window and we saw it!!! It was crazy! And I started taking some pics with my cell phone, and then I noticed about 10 other people doing the same thing on their balcony's! But luckily the winds were so strong it blew it out fast so there wasn't any serious damage around us, except for some trees being knocked down. But it was pretty intense, thats the closest I ever want to be to a tornado!!

3 comments:

al + sar said...

SCARY!! But thats such a cool picture.

James and Summer said...

wow! lucky you.... what IS it with rain and tornadoes and bad weather during the summer time? I hope it is mostly good weather for ya - you know the normal hot, muggy humidity... hee-hee. That IS an awesome picture though! Pls tell Kristina hi from me - and Jeff too! Thanks. miss ya.

Unknown said...

That is crazy! You are right there is nothing like Texas rain! We lived in Houston when Katrina hit. We actually left exactly one week before they evacuated the Houston area we were in, because of Katrina. They thought it was going threw there. Scary I can't imagine being that close to a tornado! How Scary